What is Risk-Based Inspection?
Risk-based inspection is the process of creating information about your machinery and its maintenance needs. You could use this information to assess the probability of their failure, and the cost of a failure if it were to happen. Use this information to create a priority list of inspections.
In other words, you are aware of which pieces of machinery are most likely at risk of breakdown. Risk-based inspection is the sum of a certain piece of equipment’s probability of failure and the consequences of failure. You can then separate machines into categories based on the risk of a breakdown. Helping guide the quantity and scope of process inspections.
How to create a Risk Based Inspection?
The probability of failure is the chance a certain piece of equipment will either stop working or break at any time throughout the process. Consequences of failure are things like:
- The costs of production were to stop (plus the repair amount if needed)
- Whether the environment will be dangerous due to a failure
- Whether any operators or employees have any potential for injury during an equipment failure
The consequences of failure have monetary or personnel costs caused by equipment failure or malfunction. The probability and consequences of failure together create a risk level for each piece of equipment used. With that information, inspection intervals are based on those levels of risk.
Risk-Based Inspection Identifies?
- Potential for already damaged or uncalibrated machinery
- Likely places for damage to occur on each machine
- The severity of the damage that may occur
- If the equipment failure could cause danger to those on the shop floor
The Top 5 Benefits of Risk-Based Inspection
- Avoid unplanned downtime
- Ability to rely on equipment without worry (maintenance according to risk level)
- Keep steady maintenance rates and provide inspection focus areas. (Maintain machines on a schedule rather than fixing a broken machine at random)
- Having a risk-based inspection allows for better planning and budgeting for future decisions
- Lowered safety risk as all dangers identified and checked according to their severity
Simplifying Quality Inspection.
Measure, monitor, and manage quality data throughout the production cycle or repair and overhaul process. We offer production workforce management and document management solutions.